The lips are the driest spot on our face. While the face is covered in a relatively thick, protective layer of skin, the lips are virtually naked in comparison. Therefore, most of us need lots of help to keep our lips smooth. Also, water loss from the lips is three to ten times higher than from other parts of the face or body! These facts combined with climate changes (winter dryness) contribute to making dry lips a recurrent and persistent problem.
Sun damage is often one of the main reasons for your lips to become dry and chapped which is why it is very important to carry a lip balm with SPF 15 or a lip gloss with you at all times. However, many lip balms are either barely effective or worsen the condition, so a natural remedy is always more welcome.
Does Coconut Oil Help in Relieving Chapped Lips?
Oil glands are usually missing from our lips because of which it tends to dry up quickly. Dehydration, smoking, bad lip behavior, vitamin deficiency, weather change are also important factors that lead to chapped lips.
Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the Kernel or meat of mature coconuts is the source from which coconut oil is extracted. It is an edible oil. Its saturated fat content is high, which makes it slow to oxidize and, hence, resistant to rancidification. It has various applications. It is especially very beneficial for skin and hair.
- Coconut oil contains a high amount of minerals which gives the required moisture to the lips.
- There is medium fatty acid present that reinforces The lipid skin layer on the lips is reinforced due to the presence of medium fatty acids in it.
- The oil acts as a thick layer around the chapped and dried lips which protects it from the cold air.
- The oil contains vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant.
- The oil contains various antibacterial and anti fungal properties which stops any bacterial growth in the cracks of the lips.
- The oil is very cheap and it is easily available.